Diamond Jubilee Commemorative Chess Set.
St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle is the spiritual home of The Most Noble Order of The Garter. They are the highest order of chivalry in the land, founded by King Edward III in 1348.
Her Majesty The Queen, as Sovereign, is the head of the Order which also includes His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and twenty four Knights or Ladies of the Garter. These distinguished individuals represent different spheres of public life. In addition there are other groups of Knights drawn from British and other Royal Families. Over the centuries there have been just over 1,000 Knights. This ranges from individuals such as Sir Thomas Erpingham, who led the archers at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, to those from more recent times including Sir Winston Churchill and Sir Edmund Hillary. His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales (now the Duke of Cambridge) was installed as the 1,000th Knight of the Garter in 2008.
Every year in June a special service of thanksgiving is held at St George’s Chapel attended by the Sovereign and the Knights and Ladies of the Garter.
- King- His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip
- Queen- Her Majesty The Queen, Elizabeth II
- Bishop- The Right Reverend David Conner, Dean of Windsor
- Knight- A Military Knight of Windsor
- Rook- The Round Tower of Windsor Castle.
- Pawn- Chorister of the choir of St George’s Chapel
King height 5.3″.
Chess set pieces only, board not included.